When buying an everyday carry knife, there are a lot of things you need to consider. In this niche, SOG is considered to be most reliable and most innovative manufacturer. It offers a wide variety of knives, from hunting and tactical to industrial and kitchen use.
Named after a Special Forces operation unit known as the Studies & Observation Group which was active during the Vietnam War in the mid-1980s, SOG has been manufacturing top-notch tools and knives since its inception. As a result, the company has enjoyed great popularity and growth over the years. It is still used by Special Forces including the Navy SEALS.
SOG knives have stood out because they are rugged, practical, have no frills, and are very affordable compared to other reputable brands in the market. Here’s a complete SOG knives review.
SOG Knives Review
The trick of getting the right knife is knowing what you suits your needs best. From the blade type and size to fixed and folding handles, there are different things that you may want from your knife. But the bottom line is you need a knife that will comfortably fit your hand, pocketbook, and personality.
Also, keep in mind that no single SOG knife is designed to suit every need. In fact, a lot of users carry multiple knives for every reason. Nonetheless, whichever knife you settle on, ensure you use it responsibly, carefully and often.
To get the best knife, you need to know the different parts that make up the knife.
This is the end of the knife which acts as the handle.
This is the sharpened side of the blade. It can be serrated or straight. It is used for cutting.
This is the sharp, thin tip of the knife. It can be used for carving or making incisions.
This is the blunt, opposite side of the sharpened edge.
This is the thick metal piece that holds the blade to the handle. It is mostly found on fixed blade knives. It also adds weight and provides balance to the knife, hence, creating a comfortable resting place for the hand.
Here is an in-depth look at some of the best SOG knives on the market right now.
- Combines technical knife excellence with exquisite high-end collectability
- Straight edge, 3.5-inch San Mai steel folding blade has a clip point shape with a satin finish
- Opens and closes with one hand and locks securely with Arc-Lock technology
You can’t deny it, the SOG Architect is a well-built folding knife. It looks and feels great in the hands. In fact, apart from being a great everyday carry, it can also be a good showpiece. You will fall in love with it the moment you flip it open.
With its unique Arc-Lock technology, you don’t have to fumble when it’s time to get it out and work. Made for the great outdoors, the handle comes with a titanium bolster while the blade is SanMai VG10. The Architect also comes with a number of handle options with the jigged bone being the fan-favorite.
However, even with these attractive features, the Architect is one of the most expensive SOG knives.
- QUICK ACCESS POCKET EMERGENCY KNIFE: The SOG Escape is a quick open tactical knife that serves well as a rescue knife...
- FIRST RESPONDER RESCUE KNIFE: Features a cord-cutting groove for cutting cords, lines and seatbelts; includes a glass...
- ONE-HAND OPEN + LOCKBACK: Use the thumbstuds to access this assisted opening knife; lockback mechanism secures the blade...
For its affordable price, the Escape has all the features you would want in a high-end knife. From the anodized aluminum handle to the stout partially-serrated point blade, everything about this knife shouts top-quality.
It comes with a durable steel blade that has excellent rust resistance and edge retention. Additionally, the lock back is easy to use and safe to operate – to flip it open, just press the back of the lever. Escape also comes with a line cutter (stored inside the handle slab) that can be used to cut seat belts and cords. A wire-stripper and glass breaker are integrated into the handle.
The knife’s cutting action is smooth. And whether you are left-handed or right-handed, you will appreciate the studs on both sides of the knife.
- 3.63 INCH CLIP POINT BLADE: This heavy-duty, EDC pocket knife is a capable everyday carry knife with a reversible belt...
- ONE-HAND OPEN WITH LOCKBACK: This flipper knife is easy to open with an adjustable sliding thumb stud; the lockback...
- HARDCASED BLACK STAINLESS STEEL: Folding pocket knife is durable as a camping knife, military knife or work knife for...
Take a G10 handle, combine it with scalloped steel liners, add a rugged lockback and a Bowie-inspired blade, and top all that with smooth cutting action. The result? The SOG Salute. This knife is proof enough that a great design can still be inexpensive.
It also comes with a movable thumb stud that can be tailored to the size of your hands. The Salute makes a great carry for day-to-day uses.
- Designed to go wherever you go, the Centi II can easily be carried on any keychain or lanyard
- 2.1-inch straight edge stainless steel blade
- Full stainless steel construction for durability
SOG folding knives have been known to be durable and useful all around the world, and the Centi II is no exception. With high-quality materials, low-carry pocket clips, brilliant lightweight designs, and innovative technologies the Centi meets the demand of the most critical users.
With its keychain and lanyard holes, this knife is designed to go wherever you go. The blade is made from high-end stainless steel and features a lock-back design that easily flips open. This folding knife might look small but it is strong enough for light-duty tasks. Its sturdy design also makes it a durable option that will serve you for years to come.
- 2.3 INCH FULL TANG KNIFE BLADE: The Snarl is a compact fixed blade tactical knife, hunting knife, EDC knife or neck...
- 1.9 OUNCE 9CR18MOV STAINLESS STEEL FIXED BLADE: This satin-polished full tang pocket knife, tac knife, outdoor knife and...
- KYDEX SHEATH AND UTILITY NECK KNIFE CHAIN: An easy-clip camping knife and hiking knife with fixed blade handle; clip...
The SOG Snarl is a fixed blade knife that’s designed for boot and neck carry. The low-profile design features two finger holes in the handle for better grip and control.
It also comes with a 2.3-inch 9Cr 13MoV blade that can come in handy in case of an emergency like cutting yourself free from a seatbelt. Even better, the Snarl comes with a Kydex sheath that keeps it safe when it is not being used.
- U. S. -MADE CPM S35VN STEEL OUTDOOR KNIFE: The ultimate bush craft knife, camping knife and hunting knife; a full tang...
- 5 inch satin polish blade: a perfectly balanced fixed blade belt knife And boot knife to keep among your best tactical...
- Mi carta full tang knife handle: MI carta handle with finger choli offers superior grip for your combat knife, hiking...
The SOG Pillar weighs 7.3oz and has a 5-inch Clip Point blade that is .16-inch thick. It’s made of CPM S35VN steel that holds up well and easy to sharpen.The handle is a Micarta canvas and 4.8-inch in length. It has a great grip and feels comfortable when held.
Along the top of the handle, there’s a functional jimping that makes the knife great for tasks such as slicing and feathering. The full-tang blade is durable enough to withstand medium-duty bushcraft for years to come.
And just like the Snarl, the Pillar has a Kydex sheath that keeps it safe and protected. The sheath comes with an adjustable locking system that you can use on the belt as well as lanyard holes for leg carry.
- 2.65 INCH AUS-8 STAINLESS STEEL KNIVES: This ultra sharp knife is a discreet emergency knife, hunting knife and every...
- SOG ASSISTED TECH (S.A.T.): Makes a great everyday carry, camping knife and outdoor knife; assisted opening knife system...
- FOLDING KNIFE “KICK”: Release this fast opening knife with either hand using very little pressure; flick the EDC...
The Twitch II is the ultimate gents’ knife. It has a compact design with an attractive wood grain on the handle and a satin blade finish. The traditional lock back technology tightly holds the 2.65-inch in place during use. However, unlike traditional gents’ knives, the Twitch II comes with modern assisted flippers for quick, one-hand deployment.
With a Clip Point blade, Bowie-inspired design, cross-guard handle, and blood groove, the SOG Creed is a large knife. The blade is .24 inches thick and 7.5 inches in length. The knife weighs about 12.6oz which makes it easily portable.
The Kraton handle measures 4.63 inches long and comes with a textured pattern to enhance grip. The grooves on the lower side of the handle have a nice feel to the hands. The steel butt is hard enough to be used for tactical emergencies such as glass breaking.
The Creed has a black, leather sheath for safe storage and easy carry. In addition, it has lanyard holes for a comfortable leg and belt carry. The blade is strong and nimble enough to handle both heavy-duty and delicate bushcraft tasks including skinning and feathering.
- Easy one-hand opening and ambidextrous Arc-Lock
- 3.75-inch satin finished partially serrated tanto VG-10 stainless steel blade
- Titanium handle with stainless steel liners
For lack of a better word, the SV68 Vision is deadly. The VG10 stainless steel blade and sterling titanium handle will instantly capture your attention when the light hits it. With its tanto blade and bayonet clip, this might not be the ultimate showpiece, however, it gets the job done perfectly.
Stainless steel liners are used inside the titanium to reinforce the blade and add extra heft to the knife. This makes the knife generally bulkier, making it perfect for heavier tasks.
- 4.85 INCH STAINLESS STEEL BLADE: Tough bushcraft knife is built in high grade AUS-8 stainless steel with satin finish;...
- GRN KNIFE HANDLE WITH FINGER GROOVES: Military knife ergonomic handle is designed with deep finger grooves; fixed blade...
- FIGHTING KNIFE WITH SPINE RASP: Combat knife with added tactical knife fixed blade spine rasp for notching, filing, and...
Weighing just 5.4oz and measuring 9.5 inches in length, the SEAL Pup Elite is a light-duty utility and tactical blade. It is actually a good choice for recreational outdoor activities such as camping.
It comes with a Bowie-inspired AUS-8 steel blade that is double scalloped with a hollow grind. The spine rasp works perfectly for filing and notching. What’s more, its 4.65-inch handle is reinforced with a tough nylon with center texturing for an intuitive feel to the hands and better grip.
The 4.85-inch blade is well-balanced and agile enough to be used as a tactical knife. The knife comes with a fitting sheath for safe and convenient carry.
- 3. 75 inch VG-10 stainless steel Japanese knife blade + Sheath: built in the tradition of classic everyday carry buck...
- 6. 5 ounces one-hand open And Arc-Lock: use the thumb studs to open this emergency knife and survival knife with either...
- Satin-polished straight edge And Kraton handle: a capable outdoor knife, rescue knife, fishing knife, folding utility...
With its slender design, nylon sheath, and lanyard holes on the pommel, the Tomcat is a must-have folding knife. It comes with a sleek, comfortable Kraton handle and a superior VG10 steel blade that is crafted to perfection.
Apart from looking good, the knife will fit flawlessly into the nook of your hands. This gives you the ergonomics for repeated cutting and leverage for heavier tasks. After just a few slices, this knife will feel like an extension of your hands – you will never want to let it go.
And not to mention, its smooth, one-hand opening action.
- Fixed blade knife that's the right size and weight for outdoor sporting tasks
- Straight edge, fixed 4.75-inch steel blade has a drop point shape with a satin finish
- Black synthetic rubber material on the handle provides a no-slip grip with increased heat, wear and chemical resistance
With a weight of 5.9oz, an overall length of 10.25 inches, and a 7CR 17MoV steel blade, the Field Pup is a survival knife. The blade features a Drop Point design with a .13-inch thick straight spine and a semi-hollow grind. It also has a thumb railing perfect for heavy jimping.
The Kraton handle has lanyard holes for a convenient leg carry, center texturing for better grip, and finger grooves for comfortable holding. It is also great for absorbing shock when using the knife for heavier tasks. Further, the Field Pup II has a pure leather sheath which features a snap-over retention and belt loop.
Even with these great features, the 7CR 17MoV is prone to chipping if it’s continuously used for heavy-duty tasks.
- 3.5 INCH STAINLESS STEEL CLIP POINT BLADE: The SOG Aegis straight edge tactical folding knife is a field-tested EDC...
- 3.1 OUNCES W/ GRN HANDLE: This everyday carry assisted folding knife includes a glass-reinforced nylon grip; pocket...
- SOG ASSISTED TECH (S.A.T.) & PISTON LOCK: One of the fastest opening knife systems ever; survival pocket knife opens...
The Aegis features a tough Zytel handle and a 3.5-inch AUS-8 stainless steel blade. At just over 3oz and 8 inches when opened, this knife is lightweight and ergonomic – the size to weight ratio is pretty impressive.
The blade locks up tightly and opens up quickly thanks to the unique SOG assisted technology. This makes it a great choice for tactical and EDC use. Even better, the Aegis comes in a variety of blade types including camo, black TiNi coating, serrated, and tanto blades.
- 3.75 INCH AUS-8 STAINLESS STEEL KNIVES: An action-ready, sharp EDC knife, camping knife, hiking knife and survival knife...
- 3.6 OUNCES W/ GRN HANDLE: A grooved emergency knife handle lets this hunting knife and rescue knife cut cord, line or...
- SOG ASSISTED TECH (S.A.T.) AND ARC ACTUATOR: Open this everyday carry knife one-handed; make this your every day pocket...
The Trident is more than a knife, it’s a rescue knife. With its versatile construction and quick deployment, the knife is a must-have for every household.
The grooves in the handle turn the closed knife into a cord slicer and seatbelt cutter. When the knife is flipped open, the Clip Point, AUS-8 steel blade is all business. It has a fierce menacing look and can be used for heavy-duty tasks, thanks to the jimping on the handle. Additionally, the GNR handle offers you a large surface area to hold on to.
- 1.9 INCH SMALL TACTICAL KNIFE WITH SHEATH: The SOG Instinct Mini is a small fixed blade knife for your EDC gear and...
- EDC NECK KNIFE: 1.4 oz. lightweight knife is a great everyday carry; use this full tang knife as a belt knife or boot...
- SATIN 5CR15MOV STAINLESS STEEL: Straight-edge clip point with durable steel construction can handle hard use as a...
You don’t always need a large, heavy machete to cut your MRE’s – a 2-inch blade is enough. Especially if it can be carried on a pack-strap or boot. So the next time you are going camping, save space in your backpack with this multi-purpose knife.
The 5Cr 15MoV skeletonized steel blade measures 1.9 inches and .16 inches thick. It comes with a slight clip point and it’s easy to sharpen. Even better, the molded nylon sheath is fitted with a number of mounting options including a reversible and adjustable belt clip.
Why SOG Knives Stand Out
SOG Knives started with just one product – the MACVSOG Bowie. Today, the company has a wide variety of tools and knives. Although SOG knives have retained their rugged, military design, most of the recent offerings are designed to appeal to anyone looking for everyday carry items such as survival blades, tactical knives, and fighters.
Unlike other blade companies, SOG is not afraid to be more innovative. Moreover, the founder of the company is also the head designer, and they hardly do partnerships with other companies. As a result, they are unique.
Last update on 2022-01-28 at 05:56 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API